background

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer Fun, Week 3

I knew this week would be a challenge, and it certainly didn't disappoint.  It's a fact, kids do not know how to deal with their emotions.  Instead they do everything in their power to insure that you are feeling just as miserable as they are.  I may be being a tad bit dramatic, but I assure you that I have exhausted a massive amount of energy teaching, correcting, and rebuking.  And I am also quite sure that I am not my children's favorite person after this week.  However, God is good and by His grace we have made it through, what felt like, the loooongest week of the summer.  Can I get an "Amen"?  And amidst the teaching, correcting, and rebuking, were some sprinklings of fun.  I mean, that's what this blog post is supposed to be about, right?  I'm really thankful I get to look back on the week and see that I did do a little more than just yell and scream correct and rebuke all week ;)

Alright, here we go.  Our theme this week was Healthy Bodies

Day 1 - Make it Mondays - Baked Donuts.   I am fully aware that donuts does not fit our theme so well.  I had originally planned to make smoothies with the kids.  However, when Landry spotted the pictures of these donuts and all their sprinkly goodness (the sprinkles get her every time), her heart was set and I didn't have it in me to break that little heart.  So, we went with it and talked about how it is healthier to bake than fry.  Forget the butter and sugar coatings.  For all intents and purposes, these were healthy donuts!





I have to keep one eye open and on Coop at all times,  He's trying to climb that piece of furniture.

















We also talked a little bit about what would happen if you ate too much of the wrong foods.  But you know as well as me that kids get a much clearer understanding when they experience it for themselves. So I did this!

And then I just let them go at each other like Sumo Wrestlers








It was quite entertaining.  I've included a short video for your viewing pleasure:



Day 2: We joined some friends at one of our wonderful splash parks.  Can't express my thankfulness for these places!  Also I introduced my kids to the skeleton dance and we talked about our bones.


Day 3 - We Care Wednesday.  First we ran off some energy at McDonald's Play Place with some sweet friends and on the way back stopped at another friend's house to check out the super cool "waterblob they made.  Cooper was a BIG fan! Then,  our small group was going to be visiting a local children's home, so I thought it would be nice for the kids to make them goody boxes.  I used my silhouette to cut out the boxes and the kids decorated them and filled them with candy.  The teenagers at the home were so grateful!






Day 4: We had a playdate!  Remember last week when Landry made invitations for some friends.  Well, they kindly obliged and joined our little circus.  We even called a few more friends, to insure that the party was a wild one!!  Judging by the outfits....

We also made Father's Day Cards for our amazing grandpas


The rest of the day, we watched TV.  Yep, I said it.  TV was kind of a savior this week.  Thankfully, there are lots of good Barney's and Magic School Buses that are about Health and Exercise.   I don't feel the slightest bit guilty! 

Oh....and we had a special overnight guest!  My old college roomie and her adorable red-head sweetie crashed at our house, so they could catch a flight out of New Orleans the next day.  It was so wonderful to see them!!



Day 5: Fun Food Family Friday - Today we played.  We played cars.  We played house.  We played dance.  We played monsters.  We played play dough. 


Our playdough actually had purpose.  We made dinner plates that included all the food groups


 Eli chose chicken nuggets, pasta, peas, and blueberry yogurt

 Lan chose fish, an apple, peas, shredded cheese, and pasta

And then we ate a perfectly unhealthy meal for dinner...CHIPS and QUESO DIP.  HaHa!  We make exceptions for Fun Food Friday, ok.  In fact, we made icees too!!


Coop going in for the steal....

Then Eli came to me and whispered in the sweetest little voice, "Mom, can we sleep in the living room"  And just like that, the air mattress was blown up and I was snuggled up with my two big kids.  It was, by far, the most blissful time of the entire week!

Day 6:  I was completely and utterly blessed by some sweet ladies who gave me chance to have a nice break and a new hair cut!  I felt totally refreshed when I arrived back at home.  Later that day, the kids and I worked on a special Father's Day video for Cory.   Here's our finished product:


Day 7: There was a special Father's Day Pancake Breakfast and church.  They played a slideshow of all the daddies with their children.  The kids loved seeing pictures of themselves and Cory on the big screen.  After church, we came home and RESTED!

How was your week?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails